2. It's unique location ~ almost center over the___________________ (between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn) affects its vegetation, climate and population patterns.
3. The ancient Romans called the continent Africa, possibly from the Latin aprica meaning___________________, or the Greek aphrike meaning without___________________.
4. People travel to a market outside of Mali's Great ___________________ in Djenne. It is one of the largest mud-brick buildings.
5. In 1859 construction of the ___________________ __________________ began. It opened sea traffic ten years later which increase international trade because it allowed ships to travel between the Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea.
6. The sale of ___________________ funded a war that killed more than 500,000 Angolans and left more than 4 million homeless.
7. South Africa is the world's largest producer of ___________________. It is an element used in manufacturing stainless steel.
8. South Africa produces nearly 80 percent of the world's ___________________, and 30 percent of the world's ___________________.
9. Libya, Nigeria, and Algeria are among the world's leading ___________________ producers.
10. After oil,___________________ is the most profitable commodity in Africa.
11. ___________________ is a sediment that is deposited on farmlands by rivers and enhances the fertility of the soil.
12. The ___________________ is the world's longest river.
13. The pulling apart of continental plates create ___________________, which is East Africa's most distinctive landform.
14. The ___________________ is the world's largest desert in the world.
15. The largest desert gets it's name because it means___________________ in Arabic.
16. ___________________ is the process in which dry conditions spread into areas that are moist and occurs in grassy areas overtaken by desert sands.
17. As much as 6,000 feet under the hottest and driest places of Africa lie huge stores of underground water called ___________________.
18. In some places, this water has come to the surface. Such a place is called an ___________________. It supports vegetation and wildlife and is a critical resource for people living in the desert.
19. The ___________________ is a delicately balanced region of wild grasses adjancent to the Sahara.
20. An ___________________ is a cliff-faced edge of a plateau found in southern Africa.
21. The ___________________ __________________ ____________________ is an example of human-environment interaction, and has increased Egypt's farmable land by 50 percent and has helped Egypt avoid droughts and floods.
Finish the sentences.
22. What is the physical geography of the Sahara?
Only a small portion of the Sahara Desert is sandy. The rest contains _________________________________________________________________________________
23. What is the general pattern of rainfall in Africa?
The closer a place is to the equator, the more _________________________________________________________________________.
24. How does the Serengeti Plain help support much of Africa's wildlife?
The grassland of the Serengeti provide wildlife with an ______________________________________________.
25. What are some benefits of rain forests?
Rain forests can provide medicines, and they provide much of the world's _______________________________________________________________________.
A Plateau is a _____________________________________________________________________.
CLICK HERE for Answers to this test.
Answers at Lesson Plans on Africa from school discovery.com
Return to School Test Index